The secret to this recipe is a little patience and giving the onions the occasional stir while cooking. Ensuring that the onions are properly browned and caramelized will give this recipe it's distinctive sweet and savoury flavour.
- 2 red onions peeled and cut in half lengthwise, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ lb cream cheese
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cups mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- STEP 1: Heat butter and oil in saute pan.
- STEP 2: Add onions, cayenne, salt and pepper. Sauté until onions are browned and caramelized.
- STEP 3: Allow onions to cool completely
- STEP 4: Place cream cheese, greek yogurt, mayo and lemon juice in a food processor, pulse just to combine
- STEP 5: Remove to a bowl and fold in caramelized onions.
- STEP 6: Check seasoning. Add more cayenne if you would like a bit more kick