This versatile Italian fruit and mustard relish is lovely with cured meats. It can be served on crostini and makes a nice addition to cheese or charcuterie boards.
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brandy
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large or 3 small pears, cored, peeled and chopped (about 2½ cups)
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 1⅓ cups chopped dried figs
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp each brown and yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 6 allspice berries
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 pkg raincoast crisps® gingerbread and spiced pear
- 8 oz thinly sliced prosciutto
- 6 oz pecorino cheese
- STEP 1: In saucepan set over medium-high heat, combine 2 cups water, vinegar, honey, brandy and sugar; bring to boil.
- STEP 2: Stir in pears, apple, figs, raisins, apricots, shallot, mustard, brown and yellow mustard seeds, oil, thyme, allspice berries, bay leaves, salt and pepper; return to boil.
- STEP 3: Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 35 minutes or until fruit is tender and mixture is slightly thickened and jammy. Let cool completely. Remove allspice berries and bay leaves.
- STEP 4: Serve mostarda with raincoast crisps® gingerbread and pear, prosciutto and pecorino.
For the best texture, use pears that are ripe yet firm, but not soft and mushy. Refrigerate mostarda in an airtight container for up to 1 week.