- Posted in: Snacks & Appetizers, Dips & Spreads
- Yield: 3 ½ cups
- Print Recipe
- 1 cup small dry Navy beans
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ¾ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 8 cloves roasted garlic
- ⅓ cup Tahini
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. chopped rosemary
- STEP 1: Cover 1 cup Navy beans with 3 cups of water to soak overnight
- STEP 2: Drain the beans, place in a medium sauce pan, cover with cold water, bring to boil and simmer until soft. Drain cooked beans.
- STEP 3: Meanwhile sauté onions in olive oil until soft and slightly golden, then add minced garlic cloves, ground cumin and bay leaves. Cook for 2 more minutes on low heat.
- STEP 4: Add drained cooked beans to above mixture with water and let simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool and add lemon juice, roasted garlic cloves and tahini.
- STEP 5: In a food processor or blender, puree until smooth adding more warm water if too thick. Add salt and rosemary blend again and taste for seasoning - it may need more salt or lemon juice.
- STEP 6: Cool and serve.
ROASTING GARLIC: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place peeled garlic cloves on a square of aluminum foil, drizzle with a couple of teaspoons of olive oil, and wrap tightly. Cover with one more square of foil, place on a cookie sheet in the oven, and bake for 30-35 minutes until soft.