Celebrate National Soup Month by beating the chill and cozying up to a warm bowl of Roasted Tomato & Basil Soup. Enjoy this savory and satisfying meal topped with raincoast oat crisps™ oat and seed.
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp good olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1-quart vegetarian stock or water
- STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- STEP 2: Toss together the tomatoes, ¼ cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- STEP 3: In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown.
- STEP 4: Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, oregano and vegetable stock.
- STEP 5: Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet.
- STEP 6: Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- STEP 7: Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade.
- STEP 8: Taste for seasonings.
- STEP 9: Serve with raincoast oat crisps™ oat and seed.
- STEP 10: Enjoy!